Spring is just around the corner...


It's been a tough winter for everyone in the New York area. And for some, lots of snow and the cold equals a lot of time to think…things that we might otherwise put aside creep up into our thoughts...until Spring arrives. 

And this has been on my mind.  

I’ve been thinking a lot about grief. Mostly because February 23rd marks ten years since my late husband passed away. He was a friend, a colleague, an uncle, a son, a brother, and so much more. 

And it happened suddenly. 

Obviously the regular grief stuff is hard.  

Trauma. Shock. Sadness. And the desire to move on.

I often wondered, why did this happen? What was the purpose? And what am I supposed to learn from this?

But I didn’t always think that way though.

And I cried.    A lot.     

I wanted to “be over it” and anyone who has dealt with grief knows you are never really over it, but you learn to accept the experience as part of who you are, in due time. 

Then there was the “Why did this happen to me?” “What is so wrong with me that it had to happen?"

I can not lie, but I spent the bulk of my 30’s feeling like I was not worth much and that is why the blessings that most people have as a right of passage in life, namely marriage and children, was not given to me.

And healing is a process. 

I read a lot of self help books. 

And literally had to emotionally pick myself up and count my blessings out loud and have faith. Faith in Hope – that these things just happen in life and that I was blessed with so much. 

Then slowly I started to see signs in the universe.

I focused on my strength rather than my weakness, my smiles rather than my tears, and my passions rather than my pitfalls and with the support of many loved ones in my life (my blessings) and the laughter of many children and students who I have had the pleasure of knowing, finally I can say I feel lucky to have had an experience that forever will impact who I am.

And out of the darkness I slowly emerged, and started to see the light. It took a lot of patience, time and strength. 

And as one of the toughest winters the NYC area has seen in a long time comes to an end, I finally see the light, that spring is just around the corner.   
 

I wake up in the morning
I look up to the sky
I wonder why he took you
Before I said good-bye

I look up to the stars at night
And hope you're looking down
Hope to think you're proud of me
Although I’m stumbling down



I thought of you with love today
But that is nothing new
I thought about you yesterday
And days before that too

I think of you in silence
I sometimes speak your name
I think of memories everyday
And it fades away the pain

Your memory is my keepsake
With which I’ll never part
The Heavens have your soul
And you live in my heart 

10 anos depois ... sempre em nossos corações



Comments

  1. Oh chica, that was beautiful..brought tears to my eyes..sad and happy tears. You are loved and Angelo is your guardian angel who watches over you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and courageous post… This part struck me so hard:
    "I can not lie, but I spent the bulk of my 30’s feeling like I was not worth much and that is why the blessings that most people have as a right of passage in life, namely marriage and children, was not given to me."
    That really stuck in my mind because it's absolutely staggering to me that someone I consider to be unbelievably special and deserving could see themselves as "not worth much." It's amazing how our minds play tricks on us and can conspire against us so. Such an invaluable lesson to learn from you, Sobha. Strong, strong lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it feels like our mind and sometimes life plays tricks on us, but ponder this - is it our mind playing tricks on us, or encouraging us to be strong and help us develop even further…hmmm...

      Delete
  3. Dearest Sobha, Angelo is truly missed and even though it has been ten years, it only seems like yesterday. He touched many lives when on Earth and still touches our lives in spirit. I wonder many times how life would be different if he were still physically here with us but God had other plans for him. You should never feel as if you are not worth much, because even though your time with him was cut short, he loved you dearly just like we love you dearly. In my heart you will always be my sister n law and will always be my kids aunt and godmother no matter which direction life takes you. Angelo will always be with us in spirit. Be strong.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment