I did it!



If I were to ask you in this moment to describe yourself what would you say?

If I were to ask you in this moment to look at a mirror and describe what you see what would you say?

Many people are critics of others and many people are able to “see” the achievements of others, but not of themselves.

Why is that?

We take time in our jobs to reflect on what needs to be done better and done tomorrow, but do we take the time to say “I did it!”

I know I am guilty of this.  It is so easy to look in the mirror and see the flaws rather than the accomplishment and the successes!  Even when everyone else might be saying “great work” or “you look fantastic” I would lose sleep over something I might have missed at work or something I could have done better. I’m sure we are all guilty of this.

And it slowly chipped away my self-confidence.  And then of course there are the “nay-sayers” that are there just waiting to see you do this…waiting to see you fall.

And then I realized the importance of focusing on my achievements and successes no matter how small and how insignificant to others, celebrate it. 

Rather than looking at how much further I must travel on the journey, I look at how far I have come, albeit in my own time. 

The power of a positive mindset starts with giving yourself a pat on the shoulder and saying “I did it!”

Comments

  1. Oooh, good one, Sobha! So true! Why do we constantly overlook our own achievements and see accomplishments of others so clearly!? And the naysayers… I always wonder if naysayers (mine in particular) are like us and lose sleep about whether they could have done a better job today or whether they might have let someone down.... I like how you say "I'm sure we're all guilty of this." because I really often wonder whether everybody (particularly a naysayer) is, in fact, guilty of obsessively assessing their conversations, work, day for things we could have done better; or if you (and I because I'm DEFINITELY guilty of it) are kind of special people who care a lot about the wellbeing and happiness of others and we just assume everybody is that considerate because why wouldn't they be? I clearly have passionate hatred towards naysayers. This was a really awesome post…very thought provoking :b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment. I often wonder if there are others who think past the day or the moment…but then reflectively I wonder, am I always doing this out of pure care for the well-being of others? Nay-sayers can be hurtful…that's for sure!

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, yes I know exactly what you mean… Regardless you DO deserve a pat on the shoulder! And your post is a good reminder to give myself one occasionally, too :)

      Delete

Post a Comment