Summer end, semester begin!


I meant to write all summer, but time has a way of escaping you. 

I’ve been thinking a lot about creating meaning in my life and how that applies to teaching.  What does it mean? And is it applicable at all?

Teachers as students.

I spent this summer – not really teaching, but learning. 

First taking classes with Tectonic Theater and really allowing myself to breathe moment work.  It was fantastic and working with Moises Kaufman and his team was an experience that made such an impact on me. It was wonderful to be challenged to be creative and to think with my talent, my heart and my gut! I was being asked to think outside the box and create art.  It had nothing to do with pedagogy, but with the development of my artistic soul. 

Then taking a class at the Brecht Forum with Julian Boal.  It was during the heat wave in NYC and well, I was feeling very oppressed by the heat. But it was inspiring to hear from Julian how this work was being used around the world-a true reminder of Boal’s work as an international language of activism.

This year I attended so many fantastic sessions at AATE in Washington, DC. Inspired by colleagues, new and old, speakers and performances.  Inspired to be an artist an educator, and a participant. 

And then I took a few guitar lessons. Nothing fancy, with a friend who strums. My fingers and I have a long way to go. But I often wondered, why I didn’t do this sooner. Time?

I am so looking forward to bringing this back to the work that I do at CCNY – to implant this inspiration in my courses and to share content with candidates in our program.  But I wonder too, along this journey of inspiration – where is the meaning? Is it in the work I do, is it in the success of students I teach, is in the success of collaboration with colleagues, or is it in my heart? As I begin a new semester it will be interesting to see which way the semester takes me! 

Comments