Are You Happy?

Are You Happy?

I was in a school today and as I was walking down the hall to the theatre classroom, I heard two kids talking.  They appeared to be in second grade.  I heard one say to the other, “Are you happy?” From what I observed it seemed as if they were coming back from lunch and maybe recess and the question was asked it seemed in good spirits. But I thought – when was the last time I asked that of myself?

 I kicked off the year on New Year’s Day – running a race. It was one of the coldest New Year’s Days in history, but I did it! It felt good. I felt happy.  I was optimistic and the coming 2018 seemed to be something I started off and looked forward to experiencing.  I was happy.

About a week later was the first major snowstorm of the winter.  And luckily, being on sabbatical, I was able to cancel my trip to another school. I sat in bed with my puppies and watched the news. Things felt grim. Would we make it through the winter?  I thought of regret I’ve had in my life. I thought of how to protect myself with choices I’d be making in the near future. I know a bit of a dramatic question, but in that moment I thought of all the things that could go wrong in my life during the snowstorm. Why do I do that? I’m not sure if I was happy. I was worried.

I’ve focused the first few weeks of 2018 to take some time out to write. And I’ve been thinking back on my childhood; trips I’ve taken, risks I’ve challenged myself with and lost moments that if I could do it again, boy would I have done it differently. 

I know we all have moments like that.

So when these moments of despair come up – is it regret – is it fear? Rather than thinking of all the things that could go wrong during the snow storm why not look a head and think of all the fun we could have in the snow and the fact is I got to be home in bed with my puppies.   

Then that led me to think about – Jack, my almost 14 year old Mini Pin. This winter was tough for him.  He went from a snow loving bouncing dog, to this winter barely wanting to be outside. His change this year was drastic.  Will he leave me soon? Truth is he is healthy and Mini Pin’s live a longer life … so no need to worry.

All this ramble to say – I wonder how different life could be if rather than being fear based and worrying, and protecting the failure’s that could I happen, I focus on what I have in this moment and know that it’s all just gonna be ok.  

I am reading Untethered Soul by Michael Singer.  In it there is a line that says, “The only permanent solution to your problems is to go inside and let go of the part that seems to have so many problems with reality.  Once you do that you will be clear enough to deal with what is left.” I thought that was brilliant.  The only part this is left after that is the part of you that deals with day to day. 

Life is just not as deep as I thought.    And it’s easier that way.  Living a lighter soul allows the sun to shine even on the darkest day and it allows you to appreciate what is right in front of you. 

Then the challenge begins – I need to have the ability to change my thinking from worrying about tomorrow to celebrating today.  Just take a chance and drive over the bridge to see what’s on the other side, without worrying if the bridge is going to fall!

So I ask you – Are you happy?



It is our own mental attitude which makes the world what it is for us. Our thoughts make things beautiful, our thoughts make things ugly. The whole world is in our own minds. Learn to see things in the proper light. ~Swami Vivekananda

Comments