Sweet TnT/Carnival 2018


Sweet TnT/Carnival 2018  



One of the many things I planned as soon as I found out that I’d been approved for my sabbatical during the 2017-2018 academic year was ask my partner, Ryan, if we could go to Carnival in Trinidad.  The timing of Carnival is during the beginning of my spring semester at The City College of New York and not a good time to take off, so this was my chance! And not only get there but for ten days!  #sabbaticallife

As soon as we landed, I could feel the oil back in my dry skin, dry from the cold winter weather back in New York.  The pace of life is much more relaxed in Trinidad and you can breathe that in as soon as you get there. People are friendly and family warmly welcomed us. 

Trinidad is one of the most diverse countries I’ve ever been to and the food reflects that greatly.  I was exposed to a mix of Indian, Chinese and the delicious taste of the Caribbean.  I can’t tell you how yummy the food is… And Ryan is a big fan of the fresh oysters. He has a guy named Romey.  The way they eat them there is by putting them into a shot glass and then filling it with whatever combination of oyster sauce you’d like.  Romey not only has the freshest oysters but also the best selection of sauces.

The market is one of my favorite things to do when we go there. You can’t help but be hypnotized by the smells and colors of the market.  We get up early and go with his Aunt and Uncle.  Walking around smelling all the fresh fruits and vegetables is just a delight. 

Some of the other spectacular things we did was visit the beautiful beaches in Tobago, Maracas Beach in Trinidad, walk through a nature preserve and visit a hummingbird sanctuary, have a river lime, steel pan and of course visit tons of family.  This was one of my favorite things to do: even visiting the cemetery, where we visited his grandmother, great grandmother, and great, great grandfather. Getting bits and pieces of how people traveled was extremely fascinating to me.

Carnival was an experience.  I went to many fetes’ and participated in jouvert and what an experience it was!  As we watched the performances I was so impressed by the diversity and inclusion of so many different countries and cultures from many of the islands in the Caribbean and beyond.  I did learn that I turn into a pumpkin around midnight, however – just like Cinderella! And marching in a band as part of jouvert celebration was an experience! Wearing my costume and covered in paint dancing at 4am – marching around the city was amazing and so celebratory!

By far the one thing I hope to retain was the essence of enjoyment and a slower pace of life. People there manage to get everything done but don’t seem as rushed and celebrate every moment.  I am so grateful for the experience.


Comments