7 key things I learned this summer

My summer is just about over – back to work, back to the grind and back to the shimmy that encompasses most of my year.  I enjoyed so many moments this summer and learned so much. 

Some of my highlights: walking the Highline, St. John’s the Divine, walking in Inwood Hill Park, taking the subway to places I’ve only driven to, Yankee Stadium, feeling sand between my toes, Spa Castle, playing I spy with my niece, laughing out loud with a 4 year old so hard that your belly hurts and so many more.

After much reflection - Here are 7 key things I’ve learned:

First cherish myself and the life I have
Although at times it can be a challenge. How many of us fall into this? I mourn the life I thought I’d have, I compare myself to others, and I am saddened by the things I have not accomplished rather than those accomplishments that I have.

Second, keep your friends close
There are the friendships – the ones I thought I had, but learned was not the way I thought it might be – and of course the friendships I have, that are more solid than I ever thought it could be, even though I might not see or speak to these friends often. 

Third, Realizing that I can only give what I have in my soul
No more, no less, and sometimes what I have to offer is not appreciated – and so you let go and that can be difficult, and realizing also that sometimes people are meant to come into your life for a reason, for a period of time, and it’s ok.  But that I shouldn’t, I can’t (I’m exhausted) change for anyone…and if you don’t like it – you are entitled – but there’s the door! I’m not a super hero…

Fourth, appreciate the moment that I arrive somewhere new
The moment before I step into it, the moment I am filled with wonder and query…that moment, THAT moment that keeps my heart racing and my mind curious – that moment feeds my soul …I need more of those moments.

Fifth, every experience has bliss
Every moment has the opportunity to find happiness.  I just have to take the moment and find it. I have to take the moment and be open to it. I have to not be afraid to be happy.

                                                                                    Sixth, taking risks lead to joy

Whether in work or play – I am served best by risk taking.  I have never been someone who is afraid of hard work. I have never been afraid of a challenge. But a risk has always been scary to me…and I learned this summer, that my instincts never steer me wrong.  Risks can lead me to new doors opening.

Seventh, breathe

I learned to just breathe.

"Life is just a journey" Princess Diana

Comments

  1. I liked this: " I can only give what I have in my soul...I can’t (I’m exhausted) change for anyone…and if you don’t like it – you are entitled – but there’s the door!" because how can you please everybody and still be yourself? It's impossible.
    And THIS: "appreciate the moment that I arrive somewhere new"... a good reminder to take a look around and be in the moment and take in the energy of my surroundings even when i'm NOT in summer/relaxation/vacation mode! good update, sobha!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment